In order to help women in distress, Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) started the phone ‘Helpline’ in March 2000. The phone number is advertised and the women in distress are encouraged to seek counseling through telephone between 9.30am to 6.00pm from Monday to Friday.
Trained Counselors listen to the problems narrated on phone and counsel the complainant to solve her problem as far as possible. Problems which require counseling of the other party against which complaint has been made, are advised to be registered in the Commission personally from Monday to Friday between 9.30am to 6.00pm. These are attended by DCW Members in the family Counselling Unit cell "Sahyogini"
The "Helpline" attends to 20-25 calls per day. The areas in which counseling is provided and cases have been registered include:
- Matrimonial discord
- Family adjustment problems
- Physical and mental harassment by in-laws
- Harassment by neighbours or others
- Child custody
- Maintenance, divorce and desertion
- Physical abuse
- Emotional distress
- Harassment at work place
- Legal advice and implications
- Other miscellaneous problems of women
- Harassment related to police
The "Helpline" number is +91-11-23379181